Go TO Content

The government will allow Mainland students to take technical skills certification exams and serve as school research and teaching assistants. Will Mainland students also be allowed to take professional and technical personnel examinations or work in Taiwan?

(1) According to provisions under Article 22 of the Act Governing Relations between the People of the Taiwan Area and the Mainland Area, the government currently does not allow Mainland students to take professional and technical examinations. Taiwan professional and technical examinations are within the authority and duties of the Examination Yuan and differ in nature from the skills certification administered by the Ministry of Labor. Moreover, Article 19 and Article 21 of the Regulations on People of the Mainland Area Studying at Taiwanese Institutions of Higher Education stipulate that Mainland students may not engage in full or part-time work during their period of study in Taiwan and must exit Taiwan after graduation. Hence there is no impact on the employment of Taiwanese people.

(2) The government allows Mainland students studying for a degree in Taiwan to participate in skills certification as a measure of learning assessment; such students are still not allowed to work in Taiwan. Mainland students also may only serve as research or teaching assistants within the scope of their field of study (such work must be a part of their curriculum or thesis research or condition for graduation and these rules apply uniformly to all students).